Thursday, February 13, 2014

SKALS Series by Adriana Noir

   


The SKAL Series
I read the SKALS series back to back to back knowing but not really knowing what I was getting myself into. I knew it dark. I knew there was romance. What I didn't know was that I was gonna kinda sorta crush on the "hero". Why did I use quotation marks? Cause he's not your typical hero. I love to read about alpha men especially when they act like assholes. I'm used to that and when their HEA comes and "puts them in check". Well, let me tell you. The "hero" Sebastian, he doesn't let no one put him in his place. Sebastian is ruthless, authoritive, unforgiving, dominating, obsessive, protective, scary, manupulative, cruel, contolling...basically he's just DARK. He does have his tender moments buuuuuut, there's always a but, his "dark" side takes over. We see him regress in his ways but then something always happens for him to snap back to his ways. In the series, we get to see how and why he is the way he is.

Sebastian works in SKALS and is the leader to his group of men. A secret non government organization who does what needs to get done. By any means. There's no tickle and slap. There's torture and death and cruelness. We get to see how his job and boss add to his way of thinking and his actions. Do I excuse this for him? HELL NO but I can see why.

We get introduced to Taylor who happens to stumble upon Sebastian and his men while their at work. Taylor is young and slightly naive so I looked pass her non actions in the series. She's had her share of heartache in her life so I wouldn't say she was sheltered but she needed a little more backbone and we see how she progresses with Sebastian.

Sebastian instills fear in Taylor. He makes her apologize for any little thing that she says and does. But Sebastian isn't only like this with Taylor, he treats his sister Monique and partner Josh and his team the same way. They all have a fear of him and rightfully so. The author does a wonderful job on incorporating Sebastian's job with his and Taylor's life. There are always consequences to every action with all the characters.

You want to like Sebastian but then he does something like this...

"Do you want to leave, Taylor?" he asked softly.
She winced, trembling as the cold press of steel kissed her temple. "N-nooo p-pleaaasee. Please, Se-Sebastian."
"Shh," he soothed, stroking the back of her head. "Listen to me carefully, sweetheart, because I am only going to say this once. This...this is the only way you are ever going to get to leave. This is the only way out."....And I'm here thinking DA FUQ WAS THAT!?!

There were times when I was thinking...RUN TAYLOR RUN!....but then I'll be thinking...DON'T DO IT GIRL!...and then I be like...OH SHIT. Both of their actions will leave you frustrated but when it's good between them, it's really good.

This is a suspenseful dark frustrating romance so if you're into this type of thing, go one-click. The series is not over yet and I wouldn't say that each book leaves off with a cliffhanger. The author knew when to leave off just at the right moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment