Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Review ~ The Play by Karina Halle


Synopsis

Kayla Moore has always been comfortable with her feisty, maneating reputation. At least it was fine until she hit her thirties and saw her best friends Stephanie and Nicola settle down with Linden and Bram McGregor, leaving Kayla to be the odd one out. Tired of being the third wheel with nothing but one-night stands and dead-end dates in San Francisco, Kayla decides to take a vow of celibacy and put men on the backburner.

That is until she lays her eyes on Linden and Bram’s cousin, hot Scot Lachlan McGregor. Lachlan is her sexual fantasy come to life – tall, tatted, and built like a Mack truck. With a steely gaze and successful rugby career back in Edinburgh, he’s the kind of man that makes her want to throw her vow right out the window. But Lachlan’s quiet and intense demeanor makes him a hard man to get to know, let alone get close to.

It isn’t until the two of them are thrown together one long, unforgettable night that Kayla realizes there is so much more to this brooding macho man than what meets the eye. But even with sparks flying between the two, Lachlan can’t stay in America forever. Now, Kayla has to decide whether to uproot her whole life and chance it all on someone she barely knows or risk getting burned once again.

Sometimes love is a game that just needs to be played.


REVIEW
 
 
The Play is the story about Kayla Moore(who we've met in The Pact and The Offer) and Lachlan McGregor(who we briefly met in The Offer*everytime I say his name it comes out very Sean Connery*) on how they met, on how the spark was there waiting for the friction to ignite into a combustible relationship, on how they spoke words that made you FEEL, on how actions are sometimes louder than words, and on how they fell only to be built up higher.

Hope is a powerful and dangerous word. It can either bring your world to a stand still or make it spin faster than before. When Lachlan hopes, you want it to come to fruition. He's been broken down by hope and yet he stills hopes for the good. Kayla has many obstacles that bring happiness and sorrow to her life. How she deals with it shows that she's a strong character and her strength goes perfectly with Lachlan.

I love sex in my books. The dirtier, the better. With Lachlan and Kayla...SHEE-IT...their sex was on fleek. End of.

I feel like I'm on repeat when I say that Karina Halle knows how to tell a story. Each of her stories are not the same. There is no pattern. She follows no trope. She's but a few handful that can execute words into something bigger. She has a way with words...

My head is throbbing with a sickly ache, my mouth tastes putrid, sour, like I can taste my own heart.

The heat builds deeper, my nerves are a million champagne bottles about to burst.


Favorite lines/moments:

But your eyes are like storm clouds and sunshine, framed by wet ferns, I think dreamily. I am so fucking glad he can't see this bullshit inside my head.

"Come on," I say quietly. "The hay is fine." She purses her lips, thinking it over. I stand at the edge and unzip my cargo pants, bringing my dick out of them, already stiff as a board. Her eyes widen as I knew they would. My girl is a hungry little creature. "I'll be right up," she says.

"Go home," he whispers. "Do what you can. And I'll see you tomorrow." "And what if you don't." He smiles sadly. "Then at least I had hope."

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment