Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Monster by Francette Phal

Monster...a person who excites horror by wickedness, cruelty, etc.

When I read the blurb to Monster, I thought it was going to be one of "those" books. You know, where the guy is a complete asshole who does really bad asshole stuff that only assholes really know how to pull of well. Don't get me wrong. The character Dominic can be an ass but he wasn't much of an ass. I can see why he did what he did. His childhood wasn't pretty and he brought what was done and taught to him to his future and that's where his problems start. But I must say that Dom owned his faults and sought help for himself and to make him a better man for his family.

Dominic and Eden's marriage was doomed from the start. His degradation of Eden was from the beginning. Dom wanted Eden when she hadn't met him until he finally showed up to her place of work as a stripper. He saw her as a gold digger when she was far from it. Sure, she wanted the best things in life that Dom could give her but she didn't act like one. His treatment of her wasn't of physical or verbal abuse. It was mental. He would have her "perform" for his friends but never with his friends.



When Eden has had enough she sets her plan into motion and disappears. This part kinda reminded me of the movie Sleeping with the Enemy. Dom has no idea where she is at until a source reveals information and little by little he sets the trap for Eden to come out of her hiding. Communication is key in every relationship and once it's open they see that they can have a beautiful marriage and family. I'm a sucker for a man who can abstain himself from temptation and Dom proved that. I really liked that about him.

Now, I've been a fan of Ms. Phal's work before so I am used to her writing style and that style is that there are differnt pov's and they are mixed together. We can be reading what the woman is thinking then it jumps to another character. It can be confusing but somehow it works.
*I wouldn't catagorize the book as dark erotica*
Buy Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment